Root canal treatment (Endodontics)
It is a dental procedure used to treat infection at the centre of a tooth (the root canal system).
The infection is caused by bacteria that live in the mouth and invade the tooth. This can happen after:
- - tooth decay
- - leaky fillings
- - damage to teeth as a result of trauma, such as a fall
Fast facts about root canal therapy
- Root canal therapy is used to remove nerves from the pulp of a tooth.
- It is thought to be very painful but is a pain-relieving treatment.
- The procedure often referred to as root canal is called endodontic therapy.
- Root canal therapy costs vary, but it is a less costly option than having a tooth removed and replaced with a crown or bridge.