What is pedodontics or pediatric dentistry?
Pedodontics or pediatric dentistry is a dental specialty that focuses on treatment of infants, children, and young adults.
What Types of Treatments Do Pediatric Dentists Provide?
Pediatric dentists provide comprehensive oral health care that includes the following:
- - Infant oral health exams, which include risk assessment for caries in mother and child
- - Preventive dental care including cleaning and fluoride treatments, as well as nutrition and diet recommendations
- - Habit counseling (for example, pacifier use and thumb sucking)
- - Early assessment and treatment for straightening teeth and correcting an improper bite (orthodontics)
- - Repair of tooth cavities or defects
- - Diagnosis of oral conditions associated with diseases such as diabetes, congenital heart defect, asthma, hay fever, and attention deficit/ hyperactivity disorder
- - Management of gum diseases and conditions including ulcers, short frenulae, mucoceles, and pediatric periodontal disease
- - Care for dental injuries (for example, fractured, displaced, or knocked-out teeth)